Staff Attorney - VA
The attorney will work with our team to address the legal needs of low-income veterans in a holistic manner. The position will focus on enabling veterans to gain access to VA health care and resources. The attorney will collaborate with partner organizations to create long-term stability for veterans by providing representation in VA Character of Discharge (COD) determinations. This will include outreach at partner sites, communication with social workers and case managers, and the creation of both applications and appeals by gathering evidence, preparing briefs, and attending hearings.
• Current member in good standing of a state bar;
• Current accreditation with the Department of Veterans Affairs;
• Minimum of two years’ experience working on VA claims;
• Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills;
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills;
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to work well with people living with mental illness, substance use disorders, and traumatic brain injury;
• Ability to work independently with strong motivation and little supervision;
• Ability to manage a high client load;
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and veterans’ issues.
• Represent clients before the Department of Veterans Affairs in Characterization of Discharge determinations, over-payments, GI Bill matters, and claims for VA Pension and Disability Compensation;
• Conduct intake at partner organizations’ sites;
• Provide telephone and/or written advice to clients;
• Research legal issues, with a focus on VA benefits and military discharges;
• Provide thorough referrals to connect clients with other services; work with other staff on case strategies and integration of services to meet clients’ needs;
• Track client information in our database, prepare reports required by funders, attend meetings, perform administrative tasks related to the work.
The Urban Justice Center serves New York City's most vulnerable residents through a combination of direct legal service, systemic advocacy, community education and political organizing. Our 11 Projects assist clients on numerous levels, from one-on-one legal advice in soup kitchens, to filing class action lawsuits to bring about systemic change, to pushing social justice legislation forward.