At the Free to Be Youth Project (FYP), we believe all young people should have life’s basic necessities: a place to live, a source of support, and legal immigration status. We have continued to attack the intractable problems of homelessness, poverty, and discrimination against LGBTQ+ youth through an exceptional model of legal services and grassroots advocacy. FYP is housed within the Urban Justice Center, a dynamic non-profit law collective. For twenty years UJC has served as an umbrella organization to a number of innovative projects, each designed to meet the needs of a particular group of oppressed or marginalized New Yorkers, among them persons with mental disabilities, sex workers, street vendors, victims of domestic violence, and the homeless. Working on a collective model allows for economies of scale as well as the ability to tap into a wealth of information and legal experience among the staff.
The Development & Communications Intern will support the Project Director in achieving our project’s development, PR, marketing, and communications goals. This position will provide hands-on experience in managing development and communications administrative tasks that will support the execution of our events and fundraisers.
This position will require 8-10 hours a week. A $800 stipend will be offered per semester.
The position will include creating engaging social media content, including graphics and mobile videos, and monitoring their effectiveness, supporting media relations; creating engaging email marketing content including regular newsletters; updating the website; conducting research related to our advocacy; and assisting with other communications duties as directed. The position will also include providing administrative support for fundraisers and events, as well as helping with donor development, including research, writing appeal letters, and strategies for donor engagement.
- In-depth knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn
- Bachelor’s degree (or currently pursuing) or equivalent experience in marketing, media, communications, or a related field
- Passionate about the mission of FYP and the areas of civil rights, LGBTQ+ rights, youth advocacy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented and organized
- Excellent time management skills and self-initiative, comfortable working both collaboratively and independently
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience managing social media platforms
- Experience with design (Ex: Canva, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) preferred
- Experience utilizing social media analytics preferred
- Have a team spirit, strong work ethic, and a sense of humor.
How to Apply: Please send a resume, a few words about why you’d like to work at FYP (no more than a paragraph), two sample graphics for a fundraiser/event for FYP, and a social media caption to the project director at firstname.lastname@example.org You can use information you find online about FYP to assist you in your application materials. We will review applications on a rolling basis.