DVP seeks a Family Law Attorney to work within a legal-psychosocial framework with survivors of intimate partner violence to provide legal representation and advocacy on custody/visitation, orders of protection, child/spousal support, and divorce.
The Urban Justice Center (UJC) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to advocating on behalf of NYC’s most vulnerable citizens. The Domestic Violence Project (DVP) at the Urban Justice Center is seeking to hire a family law attorney to work with and on behalf of survivors of intimate partner violence. DVP’s mission is to help survivors of intimate partner violence and their children live free of violence and abuse. We consider intimate partner violence in any type of relationship, regardless of gender or sexual identity, to be a human rights violation. Our work focuses on providing legal and social work services to promote justice and vigorously defend and protect victims’ human rights. To accomplish this, our attorneys, social workers and advocates provide legal representation in NYC Family and Integrated Domestic Violence Courts, mental health services, advocacy, case management, and on-going intimate partner violence education and outreach activities throughout the five boroughs of New York City.
Other responsibilities includes training, oversight of interns and volunteers on family law matters and relief; conduct outreach and education throughout NYC; work closely with DV shelters to build a continuum of care post abuse; maintain and foster collaborative relationships with other CBOs; maintain statistics and funding requirements as needed.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1-5 years of experience in family law
- Admission to NY State bar mandatory. Candidates awaiting bar results need not apply.
- Fluent in Spanish or another language preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of domestic violence and trauma.
- Proficiency working with individuals of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Comfortable with public speaking and highly motivated to cultivate new linkages.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Aptitude for intense and thorough negotiation and advocacy.
- Ability to work evenings if necessary.
- Ability to respond sensitively to clients’ urgent needs.
- Exceptional interpersonal, speaking, and writing skills and the ability to apply these skills in diverse situations.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and work as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Must be able to travel between boroughs. Interest and proclivity in working within a multi-disciplinary framework.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230. The salary range for this position is $61,741.25- $66,890. Generous vacation, medical and dental benefits are provided. Please submit a (1) cover letter, (2) resume and (3) references via email to Heather Lothrop, Esq., Supervising Family Law Attorney at email@example.com. Please write “STAFF ATTORNEY-FAMILY LAW” in the subject heading. We regret that due to high volume, we are unable to respond to inquiries and will only contact those candidates selected for consideration. Please do not contact us via telephone or fax. People of color, LGBTQ individuals, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The Urban Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer.