The Mental Health Project of the Urban Justice Center (MHP) seeks a full-time Paralegal to represent clients with mental health needs in their claims for Social Security disability benefits. MHP is a team of attorneys, social workers and advocates dedicated to enforcing the rights of low-income New Yorkers with mental health concerns.
- Advocating for formerly incarcerated individuals to restore Social Security benefits, apply for benefits, or appeal denials of benefits;
- Advocating on behalf of individuals with mental health concerns to Social Security; including to restore Social Security benefits or to appeal unfavorable decisions;
- Assisting with all aspects of case development and case preparation, including requests for medical evidence, correspondence with the Social Security Administration and other agencies, and case closings;
- Providing legal information and referrals as needed;
- Scheduling and conducting new client intake, including to off-site clinics and community partners;
- Engaging in outreach, especially to formerly incarcerated individuals, including attending relevant task force meetings and making presentations to community groups;
- Additional tasks as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to track information about a high volume of cases;
- Efficient and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to work with a diverse client population in a sensitive and professional manner and to work as a member of a team;
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking skills and to compose, edit and proofread correspondence;
- Demonstrated commitment to working in the public interest or advocating for persons with mental health concerns;
- Experience applying an anti-oppressive, anti-racist, and social justice lens to your work; and
- Strong advocacy skills and the ability to navigate bureaucratic systems.
Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred and knowledge of the Social Security benefits system is a plus.
Salary scale ranges from $50,000 to $70,542, according to years of work experience, and includes excellent benefits. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Paralegal” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to high volume, we are unable to respond to all inquiries and will contact only those candidates selected for further consideration.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2320.
The Urban Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.