The Urban Justice Center serves New York City’s most vulnerable residents through a combination of direct legal service, systemic advocacy, community education and political organizing. We assist our clients on numerous levels, from one-on-one legal advice in soup kitchens, to helping individuals access housing and government assistance, to filing class action lawsuits to bring about systemic change. Visit www.urbanjustice.org for more information about UJC and our work.
We are looking for a Front Desk Coordinator to join the Operations team. This position will be supervised by the Director of Operations. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General office and facilities coordination such as managing equipment, responding to issues, and communicating resolution progress to staff, scheduling work with outside vendors
- Administrative support such as managing calendars, collecting and entering data, tracking tasks and deadlines, compiling data, and generating reports, preparing and submitting check requests for payment
- Ordering office and legal supplies
- Front Desk/Reception tasks such as creating a friendly and professional environment for staff and guests, sorting mail, and answering a high volume of calls daily
- Special projects or tasks as directed by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 year of office support experience or High School Diploma and at least 2 years of office experience, including administration and facilities.
- Strong judgment, highly developed problem-solving/analytics skills, and project management skills, and a keen focus on continuous improvement.
- Strong organization skills and detailed oriented
- Ability to be flexible, team player and interface professionally with all levels of internal and external customers.
- Must be able to use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Experience with Office 365 Suite, including business applications such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work collaboratively – and independently – on a tight schedule when necessary.
- Ability to work comfortably with staff at all levels of an organization – managing both upward and downward.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
Compensation & Benefits
Salary for this position is $45,000, plus very generous UJC benefits including 401(k) match, exceptional medical and dental insurance, 20 paid vacation days, 5 paid personal days, 12 paid sick days, 11 paid holidays, and additional paid week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Please send a cover letter detailing qualifications and a resume both in PDF format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “UJC Office Coordinator” in the subject heading. We will contact those applicants who we wish to interview. The deadline to apply is November 19, 2021 but we will begin interviewing qualified candidates on a rolling basis. This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2230.
The Urban Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status, or marital status. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities or chronic illnesses, migrants, and individuals who have personal experiences with poverty are encouraged to apply. Please note that the Urban Justice Center requires all employees to submit proof of vaccination against COVID as a condition of employment. As part of the onboarding process, new hires will be asked to submit proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment.